Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Ewe a day - Fanny

Last but not least from the class of 2015 is Fanny, who is out of Siena and Canterbury. Her fleece this year had an SF of 23.0 microns. She is one of my favorites overall and close to a finished product.






I know there are people out there that place a great deal of emphasis on micron and there are others that place none on it. I mention it because I think it’s a meaningful metric and I think it’s important to fiber customers. As a breeder, that’s only one thing I look at though. It’s one thing, but it remains an important gage of what is happening with our breeding program. But we have sold sheep that are finer than what we have here, so that should provide proof that it isn’t everything. To remain in our flock, a sheep can’t be a one trick pony. There has to be enough there to build on. Now having rams capable of leading that next generation of improvement is critical, but that is a topic for another day.

No comments: