Thursday, November 12, 2015

Ewe-A-Day - Winter Sky Vogue

I was dismayed to learn that I can't seem to find any pictures of Vogue, so this partial shot of her with this year's lambs will have to do for now.


I did find this older picture below, but it looks like it was taken from a satellite.


I brought Winter Sky Vogue and Khan home together one November during a snowstorm. She was bred to Wintertime Grasshopper at the time and we still have the ewe lamb, Kahlua. She is not our finest ewe, but it is a fleece that I like a great deal. It just looks finer than it tests. We always enter it in the fine fleece category at the fiber shows and it always finishes in first or second. It also placed second in a tough class at the 2011 Wisconsin Fiber Festival. That was noteworthy because that show was judged by certified Shetland Sheep Society experts. I think she is a pretty ewe and I also like her offspring. I wouldn’t judge our thoughts about our flock members by which ones we choose to keep. We sell a lot of good Shetlands because we have a limited amount of room and have no choice. In a perfect world, we would retain more of them because the genetics are some of the best. Her five year old fleece results are: 26.8/5.3/19.9/9/25.9.

Those are very nice numbers for her age, and the fleece has nice lock structure and length to boot.

No comments: