Sunday, November 15, 2015

Ewe-A-Day - Whispering Pines Florence



Florence with her lamb, Jane Eyre.



Shifting from one Pompey daughter to another, Florence is one of a large group of two year old daughters that we kept out of him. This was my first year of breeding these girls and I was looking for really special lambs. Florence was one ewe that delivered against that goal. Florence is out of Blue Sapphire, who I have already talked about. This is a good time to say that you can not know which ewes are going to produce each year and which ones will not. That’s why I stocked up on the Pompey daughters to increase our odds. The important thing is that they are producing great fleeces while you are waiting for lambs that are improvements on them. Florence’s two year old fleece stats are: 24.8/5.6/22.7/9.9/24.5.
These are not the best micron results in our flock, but I do like the < 25 micron SF. In fact, I do not like this fleece as much as Genoa’s or Siena’s even though it is finer. These things are all relative, however, as this is an excellent fleece and a fantastic ewe.
Just to give you an idea of what I mean when I say great bloodlines produce great offspring, here is a picture of Florence's daughter this year out of Canterbury. Her name is Jane Eyre and she is the prettiest Shetland ewe we've ever had born here (the finest also).
 

 

No comments: