Friday, January 7, 2011

Blue Sapphire

We had a specific vision in mind when we put Onyx with Blue’s Clues last fall. We were looking for spots, but wanted to improve her fleece uniformity. This girl has turned out to be our favorite Blue’s Clues lamb this year! She has pretty much everything I could want. An awesome fleece, conformation, tail, etc. You can take everything I posted about Blue diamond and repeat it here, except that I like this one’s fleece a little better. I think it’s closer to her dad’s than anyone else’s! She's a tough one to photograph, however, but this is the best I could do. I don't have a single good picture of her, and I literally snapped this one today.





In terms of markings, she is a spotted grey katmoget, but she may also be a gulmoget as well. Until I breed, I won’t know. Just like Blue Diamond, she has a lot of white on her, which, in this case, made it impossible to label her completely. And, of course, who likes to be labeled anyway?

This girl is 61% UK. Over the past few years, our UK content has increased in our flock, but that’s not part of an intentional strategy. It’s just turned out that most of the sheep I like tend to have that high of a percentage. That may not always be the case in the future. It’s just something that I’ve noticed. She is an F3 Jericho, for what it's worth.
a
I've also noticed over the past few years, that I like a lot of the Jericho offspring. I know he has a lot of grey katmoget relatives in North America, but some of the nicest shetlands I've laid my hands on had their blood lines directly traceable to him. We don't have a lot of Jericho blood lines in our flock, but we do have a few nice ewes now that are F3's.
a
Anyhoo, in my opinion, Blue Sapphire is the nicest shetland we've ever owned. I like Blue Diamond's conformation a little better, so she is close behind, but this one is special!

1 comment:

Danny Hansen said...

Nice fleece! Like the spots too!